Monday, October 27, 2008

{HoW cOmE nObOdY tAuGhT mE tHaT?}

Over the last year I've learned some {gReAt} spelling tricks to try and help my students learn how to spell. Well I was thinking the other day that a lot of us got cheated to not have these spelling rules explained to us {AT ALL} when we were in elementary school. Now we don't need to learn things this way, but it would have really helped a lot of parents and teachers I'm sure to know some of these little tricks of the trade when teaching their kids why the C can make the {S} sound sometimes. And that's just one example.

Here are a few of my favorite rules!

*{KiSs ThE cAT} C is the most common way to spell the {K} sound, however; if C is followed by and E, I or Y {WaTcH oUt VoWeLs} the C will make the {S} sound so you would have to use the K in its place. Neat huh!

*{HaPpY rUlE} When spelling a multi-syllable word, you sometimes come across a word where the first syllable closed but you can't hear what is closing it off. SO you would double the next sound that you hear to create the closed syllable. {Ah-nex > An-nex}

Obviously I can't write them all down, but I just think that it is really neat that we have such simple ways to explain the quirks about the English language in way that helps people that have auditory and visual processing difficulties in their spelling!

No comments: